Monday, October 17, 2011

Back To Some Basics

October 17, 2011
On Board the Boat @ the Corniche
So I spoke too soon the last time I wrote this blog. The next day after I wrote this blog I went to work and had to survive the classroom alone. Now you must be wondering why I am writing about being in the classroom by myself….that is what my job entailed in the U.S. right? Well, two big factors play a difference out here in Abu Dhabi.
                The first (and major) factor is that the children do not speak very much English. They are three and four and have nothing, but Arabic spoken at home. I am not the best in Arabic, really just started learning Arabic two months ago. So our communication in the classroom on Wednesday and Thursday was very simple and somewhat difficult. There is once student in particular who just cried his guts out with just me in the classroom. He kept trying to leave the classroom while I was trying to teach twenty three other students in a language different than their native. So day one he didn’t do too well and the bus monitors took him out of my class. Really I think it just freaks him out that I am not dressed in an abaya , sheila, and don’t speak Arabic. He’s actually one of the students who has picked up English the best. 
The City of Abu Dhabi from the water
                The second component is the fact that there are twenty four of them and only one of me. They are three and four year olds who are very active.  So with students who don’t have discipline in their culture and do not understand my language….it was tough. Thank goodness for the classroom words that I know in Arabic. This definitely helped me when having to get the students to continue with their normal class routines.
Getting ready to board the boat.














Our Friend's Birthday Dinner.
                Recently I have had a nice past few weekends. One weekend was a friend’s birthday who decided that they wanted to go down to the Corniche (popular beach here in AD) and ride a jet boat.  It was a splendid idea and loads of fun. It was nice to be out on the water with some great weather. Here we are still in the upper nineties (degrees Fahrenheit). The start was somewhat shaky, which was worrisome.  After about twenty tries the boat driver (captain…I suppose?) was able to start the boat and get it going. We rode around on the water and at one point we all were able to drive the boat. The scene was beautiful with the city right behind us and the sun setting.  There were also quite a few people out on their boats and jet skis enjoying the day as well. At one point we were allowed to get off the boat on swim on our own private beach. Later we all went out to a girls dinner and hung out the rest of the evening.   We had such an amazing time and it was so serene. It was nice way to rejuvenate myself here in Abu Dhabi.
Driving the Boat!
                This past Thursday I went back to the group Crossroads that I am a part of out here in AD.  I was greeted with such a warm welcome going back and seeing everyone who I hadn’t seen in a week. It was as if everyone hadn’t seen me in quite some time and was excited to have me back. It’s always nice to go have a homemade dinner and some quality time. The next day I continued my Friday mornings as I normally do here. Just because I can’t say too much here on my blog I will say that it’s the same way that I spent my Sunday mornings out in the U.S. Soon after it was time for our Jet Ski adventure, this time near the Fairmont hotel. Another day of sun, fun, and relaxation….this time on a jet ski that I was able to drive around for about an hour with the need for speed. Later on in the day we went out to see Abu Dhabi. As far as seeing everyone out and meeting new people, it’s just so surreal to me. You go out here and here and they play the same type of music that you would here in the U.S. Songs about life, love, and even….America? Yes, songs by Alicia Keys called “New York”. A song by Estelle called “American Boy”, and many other songs that are anthems in the states. Yet, you have people from Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and here in the Emirates singing these songs at the top of their lungs. So out of curiosity I asked my friend from New Zealand if these songs are played normally in her hometown. “Yes”, was her reply…. “All the time!” Maybe it’s that I have just lived in my U.S./Texas bubble for too long, but I just thought that they would be singing songs about “Ireland Boys” and big cities in their countries. I should have known though in the first couple weeks of living here when everyone including a cabby was jamming out to Justin Beiber’s “Baby”.   An anthem out here that was new for me is a song by Shakira called Waka Waka. Pretty much everyone from South Africa sang this song from the top of their lungs and danced away. Now this I don’t think I would see the people as enthusiastic in the states.


We're proud to be Texans!
      Now I am back to my work week and back with my Arabic (co-op) teacher in the classroom with the students.  I do have to say that I am amazed with how much these kids have learned in the past six weeks. Every morning my students come in on their own time and greet me with “Good Morning Teacher”….Yes!!!  This is an expectation for them in the KG1 classroom, and the fact that they shake my hand as well. I am so proud of the students. It’s the cutest thing hearing them greet me with their little voices and accents. We still have a lot more to go, but we are taking things slowly and day by day. Hopefully the next time I blog, I will get to share another feat that the students will have overcome.
Girls at the Birthday Dinner.
Our Jet Ski Adventure
                Ah and finally some more good news. I now officially have gas to cook with my stove! After months of not cooking and not knowing when our apartments will be set up with gas pipes, I went ahead and bought a gas tank at the local gas station. Again, it wasn’t just that simple…I had bought it a week ago but had to go from “A” all the way to “Z” to finally get to point “B”. I’m just excited now that fire comes out of the burners on top. Never would I have thought that something that we see as so simple and take for granted could bring me so much joy. I already went out and bought some eggs and bread to make breakfast for the first time. Yes, my plan is to wake up early and cook some eggs with toast….just because I finally can. Hopefully, I haven’t forgotten how to cook since it’s been so long since I last really cooked for myself. In the summer my Mom didn’t want me to cook anything for her, because her “baby” was leaving the country and needed to “relax”. So, I think the last time I cooked for myself was maybe back in early May before I had packed up all my cooking utensils and supplies at my old apartment.
Driving the Jet Ski.... :D
                Now, I should be off to prepare for the next day to come out here in Abu Dhabi. Nothing is ever just “simple” out here and can really become exhausting after a while. Can’t wait to share more with you all soon.

All pictures are courtesy of my friends and their cameras :/


Shakira-Waka Waka

1 comment:

  1. So funny to hear about all your growth moments. The time you are spending over there is a fire "literally" that is refining who you are. When you're done I hope you'll come see us so that we can get to know the new Darcell.

    ReplyDelete