Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Starting a New Adventure

Wow! It's amazing how life can change from a year to the next, a month to the next, and in my case from a day to the next. So many things have led me to this journey I am about to go on. All perfectly planned by someone above who loves me. I never would have dreamed that my dreams could actually come true. I'm going to get to live my life like I was dying (reference to Tim McGraw song).
  For those of you who are still unaware, because I have been so crazy busy to make the time to tell all the people I know and love.....I'm moving in two months to Abu Dhabi or more like that United Arab Emirates. This is out in the Middle East and many many many hours away from the people I know and love. I stumbled upon this opportunity only after making a life changing decision alone to resign from my current teaching position. This is a job that I love with all my heart. I prayed and prayed not sure if I resigning was going to be doing the right thing for myself. It was either security or "fulfillment" of happiness. After many restless nights and hours of praying I decided to resign and leave the position for someone who was loosing theirs and wanted to spend the rest of their lives in my current city.
  I went through a month of grueling applications for all sorts of jobs from teaching to being taught to follow specific directions. No one was hiring me, I questioned whether I done the right thing for myself. I had many dreams of all the unthinkable and horrible that could happen to me while being jobless. Some of it had even come true within those weeks. My spending was back like how it use to be when I was in college, saving every dime and cutting all corners for the fact that my income would soon come to an end. One day while taking a break from packing I saw the Houston cable news and a lady taking about how she was going to move to Abu Dhabi to teach. I became intrigued seeing as how my options were open for *anything* at this point of my life. As soon as I heard that I could take my dog Romo, I was sold! I quickly checked things out and began to apply. Then...I chickened out, I didn't know if I could do it. Was I equipped to move so far away? Could I leave all the ones I loved behind? Would they even say "yes"? So with all these questions in mind I didn't apply. I left it knowing I had some days to think about it until I really needed to apply. After discussing this with many co-workers they all gave me the extra push I needed and helped me confirm that this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity and on top of it all *now is the time!* I'm single...so why not?!
  After getting my last and final push I decided to apply, next day received a second application, days later a phone interview, few days later an in person interview, and here I am now with an application ready to sign and just ending a webinar on this whole process and the final things I need to do in order to make sure that this is all completed. My life has changed so quickly in less than a month. I look back at my life from a year or two ago and see how far I've really come.
    I have at least until sometime early August until I head out, but I wanted to start this documentation of my life. Since I've found out the good news many have had questions for me. Some I can answer now and some are yet to be answered. I hope through this many will follow and get to share this unique experience with me. Yes, I'm scared of the unknown, yet so excited of my life yet to come.
  I don't think many believed me when I had discussed taking this adventure with my family and friends. Now some are upset with me and we have not spoken. I hope this will help reach out to those as well. Yes, I know I will be far away for a few years, but I'm here now. Let's spend these next few months we have together before I leave. I've always been a little girl with big dreams...and now I'm chasing them! I hope you enjoy this adventure right along with me.

5 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Especially the name!!! Besides the cupcake part lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Good luck, have fun, be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be following along. I too am leaving for Abu Dhabi in 2 months to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I'm in SHOCK!!! I just assumed you were moving back to Austin....boy, was I wrong! I am so excited for you and this adventure. I will defintely be following your blog to keep up with you. I hope to see you before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that ALL OF THAT happened and I had to find out at an SBDM MEETING. Hmmph some friend...I think maybe you shouldn't have your own special ring tone anymore. So ha!

    ReplyDelete