Tuesday, August 23, 2011

AD and KG


Flower Grill at Lebanese Flower
So the past three days have yet again been filled with adventure and have been relatively interesting. On Saturday I decided to take a day to relax and play it easy.  I hadn’t done this since about early July and I figured if I still had a little bit of time left I might as well. The most I did was go out to eat with some co-workers at the Lebanese Flower. It’s a restaurant here in Abu Dhabi that gets rave reviews….and I can see why. The food is amazing and served in large portions as if you will not see food in years. The service is also one of the many amazing things about this place. The owner was ready to greet us and even take our order. He gave us some complimentary hummus as well as the usual “salad” that is set at the table in the beginning.  We all ordered (split) a Flower Grill which has the various types of meats on the platter. Similar to what a botana would be in south Texas. It’s very fulfilling and can easily be split among four people.  This has to be hands down the best food that I have eaten here so far.

Ramadan at Al Wahda Mall
 Sometime last week I had found out that I have been placed here in Abu Dhabi which was a tossup from the beginning. I’m going to say that I’m pretty pleased with my choice and look forward to staying here in the city and seeing what more it has to offer. Sunday night we were asked to be up and in the hotel lobby at about 8:00am so they could shuttle us to see our new apartments. Well…I should really say high rises….yes a high rise.  So Monday morning (8/22/11) we were off. The place is beautiful and amazing. I can’t believe that they are paying for me to stay in a place like this. I will be on the eleventh floor which has an amazing view and a cozy little balcony. The place it a great size for a single person such as myself and will be even better if Romo can soon come and join me.  The high rise also has a roof top pool and a separate gym (workout) area for the men and women, along with Jacuzzis. The floors are all tile and the and trimming in some areas is all pure granite…..!!! They have done nothing but treat us with respect here in Abu Dhabi and they are even going far beyond my expectations. I was thankful for them giving me a place to live, but I never dreamed that it would be like this….Amazing!!!!

Al Wahda Mall Inside (check out the bowling alley)
Shortly after seeing my place on Monday I decided that I needed to start looking for appliances and living furniture for my place. This has been a completely new experience and even feels awkward in a way. One, I have never had to shop around and look at appliances such as refrigerators and stoves. I can’t really say that I am doing things the right way either. I am just trying to find these appliances at a feasible price as well as also make sure that they last two years. Two, just a few months ago I was moving out of my apartment where I once lived that was filled with everything I needed. From couches, beds, tables, and clothes….now I’m back to square one; nothing. It’s a weird feeling to know that I am back to the beginning with my basics in addition to having to find out again what it is that I really need. Truth be told, back in Texas I always had someone who could help me out. If not then they knew someone who knew someone. Now I am halfway across the world and do not have those types of connections out here yet. I have found some deals and some not so great deals. We shall see in time what will happen and how things work out. I just have to stay positive and proactive on finding things for my new place.
 Grand Mosque at Sunset (very far background)
Here we are on Tuesday; we just finished out first day of orientation. It was quite enjoyable and I was very pleased.  Going back to a “work” setting was quite nice and has been much needed.  Things have felt “funny” here knowing that back home everyone is already back to work. I love my vacation time, but I think I may have already had too much. I know one day I may miss this time, but right now I’m craving the work. I also enjoyed the orientation because my interviewer was there. I think I was so happy because the last time I saw him was in Texas. So it was kind of like having a little piece of Texas with me here in the Middle East. We just covered the basics and learned our grade placements. As of right now I am a kindergarten teacher, but things could change. I am excited about this either way. If I get moved to second grade then that will be awesome since I already have that experience, but if I stay kinder then that will also be great so I can try something new.  

  Within the next few days I should be moving into my new place and out of the hotel. I have been in the hotel for almost two weeks now. I love it though because we get free breakfast and many of the hotel workers know who I am, know what I like to order, and call me by my name. The service here is wonderful and will be missed when I have to get out.

 In the video above you will find some pictures of this past week. Things from American food, grocery store items, waiting at the bus stops, and even some of my new high rise. Enjoy and I hope you all like it. Let me know if this works for you all.  :D


A City view of Abu Dhabi

1 comment:

  1. Was that a bidet by the toilet? Ahhhh so luxurious! ;)

    ReplyDelete