Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm International Baby

So I finally arrived here in Abu Dhabi around 1:00 am Friday (AD time) 3:00pm (TX time). What a ride it was.  It was quite a plane ride out here. In total I spent 22 hours on a plane and rode three different planes. My first flight was using United Airlines which could have been a real big hassle.  I was nine pounds total over weight with my bags, so they wanted to charge me $400 dollars.  I wasn’t willing to pay that amount so I decided to take stuff out of my bags and leave it with my mother. Fortunately there was a man named Todd at the check-in counter who saw this and gave me some great tips bout placement and what I should switch in and out between my check in/carry -on luggage.  Finally I had everything arranged where I was able to bring everything I had originally packed in my bag.
                On my first flight out from United I was seated with a man named Bernie who shared great conversation with me. We literally talked for the entire three hour flight. He was actually on his way to Belize to go out and teach as well for about fifty days. So we both had traveling abroad to teach in common. Once I reached Washington International Airport I had an hour to find Qatar airlines to check in. Well guess who I ran into at the same airport….Todd. Again he was wonderful; since he travels so much for his job he knew the airport system like the back of his hand. He had me running around the airport in order to check in with Qatar airlines on time.  Glad he did, because I made it to check in with a few minutes to spare. Definitely thankful for Todd and all the things he did for me to be able to have smooth travels.
My Seat and its Goodies on Qatar Airlines
       Qatar airline was definitely a new and different experience. Everything was so nice and we were well taken care of. They had pillows, blankets, ear plugs, toothbrushes, head phones, and so much more set up for us as we boarded on the plane. For dinner I had chicken, mashed potatoes, and buttered vegetables with some water and apple crisp for dessert. Snacks in between ranged from complimentary beverages, chips, crackers, and even some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. Later breakfast was served with the choice of an omelet or pancakes. It also included fresh fruit, OJ, yogurt, and a bagel. I have never been so spoiled on a plane before. Anything you wanted or needed, they were there to service you right away.  There was also entertainment on a personalized tv in front of you that offered so much to watch and do. I just chose an American show that I love to watch (How I Met Your Mother).
With My Work Visa and Teacher Badge
 Then we arrived in Doha, Qatar where I ended up meeting up with some of the other teachers who are also a part of the same program that brought us out here to Abu Dhabi. They were all from America and lived in different parts of the states.  I walked around and explored the airport in Qatar since I had an hour to spare. It was definitely interesting and how quite a bit of duty free shops located inside. Luckily they accepted American dollars, so I could buy some water to help my headache. Flying so high and for so long in the air definitely makes you dehydrated; which in turn you suffer from horrible headaches. That’s because I tried to drink water consistently throughout the flights. We eventually took off from Qatar and were off to Abu Dhabi. This was the shortest plane ride of my entire trip. It was only about an hour long. We had some spicy sandwich and water to drink. The next thing you know….we were in Abu Dhabi.

Getting Eye Scan to Leave Airport and Enter Country
   Finally, we had reached our destination (Abu Dhabi). Ahh, it was so nice to have landed to the finally destination after spending a whole day on an airplane. There were people there from our program to meet/greet us with signs. Once we were all gathered they passed out our visas and we were swept off to be let into the country. We took an eye scan and got our passports/visa stamped with an Emirate stamp.  They proceeded to take us to get out luggage and we had our own individual person who carried/push our luggage around. Next we were off to our bus where I met more people a part of the same program. These people were from London and as ecstatic as we were to finally be in Abu Dhabi.  On the shuttle to the hotel we shared teaching stories from different states in the US and around the world. It was very cool to hear everyone’s stories and how things vary/change from place to place. In the end, we have one thing in common: all of us pour our hearts and souls into teaching.
 Licensed Teachers on Shuttle to the Hotel
                Now we are staying at the Intercontinental Hotel here in Abu Dhabi, which is very very nice. They had fresh squeezed juice for us as we entered and our rooms ready to go. So far I am very pleased with my experience and can’t wait to see what more Abu Dhabi has to offer. We have our first orientation on Sunday, so I have one more day to explore the city. Just in case some do not know; we have orientation on Sunday since that is the first day of their work week here in the U.A.E.  Fridays are holy days so many people do not work and Saturday is part of their weekend. We also are currently in Ramadan out here so all food places are closed and do not open until sundown. Majority of stores and places are also closed right now due to it being a Friday and Ramadan. Needless to say…this American can’t wait for sundown, so I can eat.
    Pay Me- Usher Feat. Miguel

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome Darcell!! Looking forward to your next post.

    cristela

    ReplyDelete